Scrivener is fast becoming a mainstay of my writing. I’ve written about this software several times now but for those who are not familiar with it, Scrivener is for developing writing projects. It’s a powerful tool that allows for a great deal of flexibility for any kind of writing project. I’m even using it for this post but especially a series of blogs.
I recently started a newsletter for my blog which I send out to email followers. As part of this process I use Mailchimp to send the messages. I’ll be working on the upcoming edition for next week over several days but it hit me as I started thinking about it – write the newsletter in Scrivener.
My Newsletter Plan
I’m sure other people are doing this already but I haven’t seen anyone actually write about it. Here’s how I plan to use Scrivener.
1. Create a project for the year (since I just started the newsletter the one for 2014 will be short).
2. Use the Binder to create each newsletter volume in separate sub-folders so the project will grow throughout the year.
3. Use the Research folder to create separate sub-folders for each volume where I can put ideas, links, pictures, etc. that I want to use for that volume. When I start writing the volume I’ll have all my information ready to go.
4. Transfer the text to the template in Mailchimp when ready.
Other Related Ideas
Since I plan to use Scrivener for developing my newsletter I also realized there are other similar uses too:
- I can use it to write my book-related email campaigns.
- Other email templates such as those used for greetings, thank-you’s and giveaways
- Goodreads templates for those who friend me
- It can even be used to compose social media communications that may be used repetitively. Since you can copy all kinds of files into Scrivener, I imagine I can even use it for adding pictures to post on Pinterest such as upcoming cover reveals or additional artwork to be released at a particular time.
As you can see, the uses for Scrivener are many and varied. Have you tried Scrivener yet? If you have, what are other ways you use it? Please share your thoughts and ideas in the comments section. I’d also love to connect with you over social media so check my Contact page for that information. See the News page for announcements and remember to sign-up to receive news and posts by email. I’ve added a new sign-up tab on my FaceBook page to simplify the process. New followers can download The Black Bag via free coupon today! Also, the cover of my book, The Bow of Destiny, was revealed on 11/10/14 so take a look.
Thanks for reading. I’m off to start my newsletter project in Scrivener!
P. H. Solomon
Clip art licensed from Microsoft Office.
The Bow of Destiny cover art licensed by commission from Christopher Rawlins