Here are the latest updates from P. H. Solomon and news about upcoming releases.
Hey everyone! It’s been a while since I posted consistently here. I’ve shifted priorities due to other demands on my time and health issues. Over the last several months, my “long-haul” issues have persisted, meaning I’ve dealt with a fair share of days with my head-spinning, headaches, and lack of consistent mental focus. Additionally, there have been a lot of doctor appointments (including cardiopulmonary rehab), a crazy amount of maintenance around the house to track via numerous services, and a car accident from last spring when a pick-up truck bed liner almost came through my windshield.
It’s been a weird year, and my writing has suffered the most. My mental energy comes and goes, so I always feel like I’m resetting a reset, trying to find where I was and what I should be doing. However, I’m persisting the best I can with my current book project, The Unseen Hand. But, I’ve had to push my publication schedule back for the several drafts I have, much as I hate to do it. I’ve had to adopt a slow, but steady approach to everything, making one dogged step at a time. This is probably good for me since I tend to get a little unrealistic with my time. What can I say, I fall into being overly ambitious. But then, I have a lot I want to do with writing and that’s a good thing. It all just needs to be managed at a slower pace.
The Unseen Hand
There’s no getting around it that I’m late and struggling with some of my health issues. At this point, the book cannot be ready any sooner than early December. The last two months have been a struggle with days of headaches. I keep trying to work around these, but nothing seems to work. This has been a crazy year of distractions with a lot of fixes required around the house and a car accident back in May where something almost came through my windshield on the interstate. I’m fortunate that I walked away from the accident with hardly a scratch, all of the maintenance has been taken care of, and my health needs are met. That being said, I’ve taken steps to start alleviating some of my various writing-related duties so I can focus more energy on my writing.
Nevertheless, these issues have been a long string of distractions when I’m struggling with “brain fog” among other physical issues. Revisions to the book slowed me down more than expected. However, the additions are very useful to the feel of the book. However, I’m committed to finishing this book this year. If you have volunteered to receive an ARC (Advanced Review Copy), expect those to go out in late November at best. If you’re interested in and ARC contact me in the comments.
In Other News:
Bonus Accomplishment: I did manage to make a submission to the JordanCon anthology for next year. It was an existing short story, so the work was easy. I’ll update the outcome when I know, but this was more of a whim, so it’s not something I’m hanging my hat on though acceptance would be nice.
My publication priorities remain in order:
- Books two and three of The Cursed Mage Case Files with a re-release of The Order of the Dark Rose all including print distribution using an extended pre-release and release schedule to be communicated. As noted, The Unseen Hand is being planned for a December release in e-book, print (Amazon only), and audio (I now have the means to produce this format and intend to do so for this series, more to come about this). Book three, entitled The Nine Jewel Heist, is most likely pushed back to first quarter of 2023 at the earliest.
- The Bow of Hart Saga in print with a pre-release event – The event was intended to be a Kickstarter, but will likely slide due to time and energy constraints until next year. The Bow of Hart Saga bundle will be available on holiday special with some additional content, and possibly in a special print edition. More news on this as it happens.
- All Things Forgotten, book one of Treasure Stolen – Returned with print as part of a pre-release and release schedule to be communicated. On hold, I will schedule this during 2023 at this point due to limited time this year, however, I plan to do more to develop more of the series by the time it arrives so there will be 2-3 books ready in short succession).
- A Charm in the Hand, Book 1 of The Black Glove Assassin with print as part of a pre-release and a regular release schedule to be communicated later. On hold, I will schedule this during 2023 at this point due to limited time this year, however, I plan to do more to develop more of the series by the time it arrives so there will be 2-3 books ready in short succession).
- Doors into Fantasy anthology #2 – this is one of my own anthologies to be completed by an editor for publication when ready. Update: This is a short project, so I still intend to release it this year, it just needs a cover and the content polished. It seems pretty simple, but that thing with distractions and brain fog are hanging around.
- Also of note, there will be new covers for Trading Knives and What Is Needed in the near future. I’ll share when I have them, possibly next month. I’m still working on the cover for Trading Knives and What Is Needed is still in the works.
- I have about three short stories I’d like to draft, but where’s the time. It would be nice to write at least one of them and submit it to a few short story markets yet this year. This is not likely to happen this year unless I start doing more than I have which leaves this doubtful.
- One thought I have about releasing all of the series starters is to run a Kickstarter that covers 2023 releases so readers can have an opportunity to receive special edition copies and swag boxes. It’s a thought, but will take some energy and completing the books I have in the works. However, I’m thinking I’ll run a Kickstarter to launch my imprint with special print editions and one for a year-long schedule of new releases otherwise so I have time to complete what books I have and begin drafting more. Two to four releases in a year would be ambitious, but I’ve got that many books drafted already.
That’s it for updates. My apologies for not keeping up more, but things are what they are and I’ll keep working around the issues the best I can. Fingers crossed for The Unseen Hand, the special edition bundle for the holidays, and the anthology. Until next time, you all have my best wishes.